Saturday, December 3, 2011

Just Keep Holding On, Dear

When I was younger I used to dream of one day becoming a famous songwriter (and maybe singer) and produce songs that would speak to people and resonate with them, no matter what walk of life they were from. 

Tonight my dream came true, a little bit.


MAK held a coffeehouse to raise funds for our annual Christmas project. This year we are supporting the Eden Reforestation Project in Madagascar to help plant more trees and give hope and life to people who would otherwise in a devastated land. I love coffeehouses. They are one of the places I find myself getting into my element. And the kids who performed were so cute tonight. There was even a surprise flash mob dancing act from the staff! 

I was so grateful to be able to play one of my songs as well. I picked the Totoro Song because it fit the audience, and it was inspired by a story that came from a forest. I wrote the Totoro Song last year as an inspiration from a mission trip to the Philippines and one of my favorite childhood movies, My Neighbor Totoro. In the story two little girls find a tree spirit that only children can see, and the song I wrote consequently is about having childlike faith and believing in the magic around us that happens every day.


Follow me, we'll take the trail out by the trees,
And fall among the hollows, and find unexpected things
It's open here, we'll stay wonderfully silent
And find the drama is only in the dust

Don't worry, I'll come find you

Just keep holding on, dear
Do you believe me? The story doesn't end
As we grow, some things never change
Look for me in the wind, in the wind

Don't you hide, for out of goodness there will grow

The magic all around us, only the wisest know
So hold on tight, we'll feel light as a feather
And find the music is in us

Don't worry, I'll come find you
Just keep holding on, dear
Do you believe me? The story doesn't end
As we grow, some things never change
Look for me in the wind, in the wind

When I finished and went back to my seat, one of my coworkers tapped me on the shoulder and told me that that was really special because one of the things her father said before he passed away this past year was "Look for me in the wind." Immediate tears came to my eyes. This is the first Christmas she will spend with him gone, and for sure my song was something that spoke to her at a time when she may not even have fully known she needed most. Who knew?

Thank You God, for knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment